Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Word Count Wednesday (2/1/17)

What am I working on?

Currently I am working on two separate writing RPGs with my cousin; both are fantasy. These are created out of sheer fun and will most likely never be seen by the world but I am thinking about expanding the concept we've created into maybe a book or a short story... we'll see how that turns out (to be continued on that.) I'm also trying to work on the other experiments that we were assigned, mainly the picture book experiment, but unfortunately it's mostly storyboarding at this point. The main idea is about two sisters and their cat ride in a red wagon in their backyard and they let their imagination go nuts. The red wagon turns into a red boat and the vast yard turns into their own fantasy world; it's solely based on how I used to see the world as a child and the adventures I used to go on.

Word Count: 3,058 (Do not be fooled by this number 99.9% of it is from my RPGs and the rest is actual serious work...)

How do I feel about the process?

It's soooooooooooo slooooooooooooow. I am working at snail speed and it is beyond frustrating. I also seem to be suffering from a very troubling case of writer's block. I can't seem to be able to grasp my ideas into suitable words and they seem to only appear in word fragments. Oh well, it must be toughed out with a smile and hopefully I will find my writing muse soon enough.

What am I reading now?

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (a special thanks to Chloe Frederickson for lending me the book; so here forth commences the Chloe/Chloe book exchange club huzzah!)

On Writing by Stephan King

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Word Count Wednesday Update! A few words of advice:

    Don't feel pressured by the idea of "serious writing." That word "serious" can guve a lot of people writer's block because they stare at the blank page thinking that they need to write something incredibly IMPORTANT. But anything we are passionate about -- including Fantasy RPG characters -- is worthy of being written. If you are in love with the topic / character, there's a good chance that a reader out there is waiting to fall in love it as well.

    in other news, I like the red wagon / imagination idea for your
    Picture book. And creating a sketch (even if you don't plan to be the illustrator) is a good way to develop a well crafted structure.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I will definitely take the time to sketch out my ideas so I can structure the story better :)

    ReplyDelete